5 Steps to extend your stay as a student in Australia

5 Steps To Extend Your Stay As A Student In Australia

(photo by http://canva.com)

Due to the impact of COVID-19, some of you may have applied to defer your course or reduce the study load to gain more flexibility to cope with the challenging situation. In this case, you will need to apply for a new student visa (no extension under the current government policy) if your current one will expire before you complete the course.

Here are 5 steps that you can follow to extend your stay as a student in Australia.

Step 1: Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student, it is required to have OSHC for the duration of your study period in Australia. Therefore, you would need to extend your OSHC to cover the new visa periods. If you are expecting to finish in Semester 1 (July), extend your OSHC till 30 August of the same year; if you will be finished in Semester 2 (Dec), make sure it lasts till 15 March of the following year. Check with your OSHC provider to see how to make an extension.

Click the link below for more information on some common OSHC providers:


Step 2: Request a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from universities

The new COE is required to apply for the new student visa, and it usually takes 5-10 business days. Check with your university to see the requirement for requesting a new COE.

Click the link below for more information on requesting COEs from major universities:


Step 3: Submit your visa application

Gather your documents for student visa application including the followings, and submit your visa application online before your current visa expires (go to: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/immiaccount).

  • Passport
  • COE
  • Evidence of OSHC
  • A Genuine Temporary Entrant statement
  • Evidence of English language proficiency (check if you are eligible for exemptions)
  • Evidence of funds
  • Completed health examination (may not always be required for re-application, can submit first and check the “Health Assessment” section to confirm)

After submission, make sure to check your email regularly to keep track of the application status. If your previous visa expires before the new one is granted, Bridging Visa A (BVA) will automatically become active so that you can still legally stay in Australia. However, please note that if you need to leave Australia temporarily with BVA, you must apply for Bridging Visa B (BVB) before departure.

Step 4: Update your visa status with the university

Congratulations! Once your new student visa is granted, most of the jobs are done. Remember to update your visa status with the university.

Step 5: Apply/Extend your student accommodation to secure your place

Last, before everything is good to go, make sure that you apply or extend your student accommodation to secure your place. Rooms International is happy to offer early birds discount for new applicants and our existing tenants. During this difficult time, we have opened up for more flexible lease terms to meet the case by case needs of students. Feel free to reach out to us for a talk, our friendly staff are always here to help.

Remember, as a student accommodation provider in Melbourne, we’re always here to help you.


Extend your lease/ Apply now for Semester 2 2020 to secure your place!